"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

steelhead goals...

Goal for Steelhead Half Ironman:

Tea asked me this question about a month ago and told me not to reply "just to finish" as a race time at the half IM I haven’t posted anything yet but I have been focusing on finishing under 6 hours for my first attempt at a race of this nature…

I broke down my three discipline semi-goals below:

Swim 1.2 miles - since swimming is my weakest link of the three sporting activities my plan is to focus on being smooth and consistent during the swim as I chug along at my own rhythm. Since you swim with the current in Lake Michigan I hope to make the distance in less than one hour but my secret swim goal is 50 minutes…

Biking 56 miles - well, well, well…this is my most favorite event of the triathlon disciplines of them all and my strongest sporting ability by far…my most difficult challenge of this portion is having to hold back my cycling Time Trialing ability that I absolutely love racing to an endurance mode so I have energy in my body to finish the run portion strongly…I will be watching my HR routinely during the biking portion since I do not have a wattage system on my tri-bike…so I would at least like to average 20.3mph which is a 2:45:00 bike time…I would like it even better if I could average 21mph for a 2:40 bike split…I would love an average pace of 22.4mph for a bike split of 2:30:00…

Run 13.1 miles - I can hold my own in a half marathon run but after the bike it takes a couple miles for my running legs pace to stabilize…I would like to run the half in sub-2 hours which is a 9:10 mile pace but secretly I would like to run at a 8:30 mile pace which is a half time of 1:51:24…

Also the two transitions need to be calculated in there but whatever those are they are at this point…I’m really not going to rush through them like I was going for the win ;-)

Also a big variable in human performance on this race day is out of our control and that is Mother Nature and what weather she brings us on race day…

So that’s my goals for the Steelhead 70.3 race this coming Saturday :-)

b

1 comment:

Tea said...

We're on the same wave length. I was just going to email you.

When you get to ultra-endurance races, the #1 challenge is the mental part. You and I both know this. When things are going great and you feel unstoppable, how do you keep yourself in check? Likewise, when things are going badly, how do you keep going?

That's what you can control.

Everything else....you just go with the flow.

You and K will have a great time.

btw-I know swimming isn't your strongest, but I bet you beat my first half iron swim. Of course, I won't tell you what the time was until after your race.... ;)