"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Barrington Hills 10k Race Report card...

Friday morning July 4th 2008:

http://www.theracershub.com/files/130-200.txt

For what has become a 4th of July tradition for Kristen and I we ran the Barrington Hills "Run for the Arts" 10k race at 7:30am on a perfect weather morning. Our good friends live about a half mile from the start so we arrived at their house bright and early as Kristen was running as a Sherpa with our friend Bridget whom was running her first 10k event. We then met up with some other friends at the starting line as I knew a lot of my track workout friends like racing this hilly event also. I wasn’t really planning on "racing" this race but using it more a good base building hilly tempo run especially since the night before I rode a lot of hard biking repeat miles plus we still had a lot of challenging half IM training left to due on the weekend. Also I was using this event as a test to see how my legs had recovered from the night before after only 12 hours of recovery.

As the race started I controlled my pace at a comfortable level since the first two miles are the smoothest of this hilly 10k race. Once you pass the mile two clock it’s a left hand turn up the 1st steep hill and they continue on from that point thru the finishline. So from miles 2 through 4 I slowly picked up the pace as I can hold my own on the uphills but on the downhills I can pick up the stride comfortably and pass a few runners. It was just at about mile 4 that I finally pulled along side a couple of my track co-runners and cheered them on with motivation. At mile 4 thru the finish is when I picked up my pace to the maximum speed I wanted to run at for the day and this is where most of the runners whom go out quickly usually fade towards the last hilly miles so it allows me to pick-off a few more runners. At the mile 6 sign I decided to kick it into a 200 meter track workout mode to cross over the finishline.

My run time was 46:18 at a 7:28 mile pace in the hills of Barrington with an average HR of 148bpm and a max HR crossing the line at 162bpm. I was happy with the time especially how well my legs recovered from the hard workout the night before on the tri-bike. Plus then I cheered on Bridget & Kristen to the finishline as they ran a great race also together :-)

b

No comments: