"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nutrition plan for the Steelhead 70.3 Half Ironman on 08.02.2008 for b…

Pre-race:

Race days for triathlons start super early which won’t be a problem for me since I’m an early-bird anyways. The first thing I’ll do is mix 2 scoops of Carbo-Pro (112 carb’s & 224 calories) and one capsule of Thermolyte (sodium, potassium and various other electrolyte ingredients) from SportsQuest http://www.nvo.com/sportquestdir/sportquesthome/ with 10oz of water and drink it immediately. After that I’ll eat some natural oatmeal with honey and a banana to top-off my fuel tank on race morning. I might eat a half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while getting ready in the transition area and another banana but at that point I will stop with the solid food intake as I will always have water with me especially if it’s hot out.



Transition closes at 6:30am and all racers need to walk 1.2 miles (nice warm-up) to the swim start area for the day for which the first swim wave starts off promptly at 7am. I will have at least a 28oz bottle of water mixed with ~one scoop of 1st Endurance EFS (electrolyte & more) http://www.firstendurance.com/, minimum 2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and two capsules of Thermolyte dissolved in the water to keep my body topped off & ready for the swim. I might carry a bag of lemon-lime sport beans in the back of my tri-top pocket incase I need some more food.

Swim portion:

When unfortunately during the 1.2 mile swim I won’t have time and/or ability to eat & hydrate so hopefully my pre-race fueling carries me through the swim as I anticipate it too.

Bike portion:

My body & metabolism require a lot of calories & carbs per hour (and other stuff) so on the tri-bike I will be carrying 2 -24oz bottles on the HydroTail mount behind the seat each one being filled with one scoop of EFS, 2-1/2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and two capsules of Thermolyte dissolved in the water – so each 24oz bottle will have about 380 to 400 calories in it with about 180 carbs and other vital electrolyte, etc components within it. I will carry a 3rd 24oz water on the bike seat downtube with one scoop of EFS, 2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and two capsules of Thermolyte dissolved in the water. On my main down-tube from the bike headset to the cranks I will carry a 4th bottle with just 22oz of water in it incase I’m needing to flushdown a extra pill or two of Thermolyte due to heat & humidity. Below is the Arundel Chrono aero-bottle:



On my steering stem I will have a 5oz of highly concentrated solution bottle of a 1/4 scoop of EFS, 2-1/2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and one capsule of Thermolyte dissolved in the water so this ratio is thicker like a gel product for a boost when needed. Below is what it looks like:


Also I will carry a pack of lemon-lime sport beans in my pocket of my tri-top along with an eGel for that "just in case" situation. Plus I electrical tape individually small baggy wrapped Thermolyte pills taped to my cables just under my aero-bar armrests – total amount to be determined race morning.

I have trained for the last 6 weeks on all my bike rides with just the liquid nutrition and it works great for me. Plus you might think that I’m carrying a lot of nutrition for just 56 miles but I would rather be safe than sorry out there…

Run portion:

On the run I will wear my Ultimate Fuel belt which has two 5oz bottles and two 10oz bottles similar to the one below:

The two 5oz of highly concentrated solution bottle of a 1/4 scoop of EFS, 2-1/2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and one capsule of Thermolyte dissolved in the water so this ratio is thicker like a gel product for a boost when needed and the two 10oz bottles will have 1/3 scoop of EFS, 2 scoops of Carbo-Pro and one capsule of Thermolyte dissolved in the water.

Over the course of the half marathon run they will have hydration stations every mile to mile & a quarter so I can grab water as needed after I take a swig of my elixir drink to make it last the 13.1 miles to the finishline. Also I will carry a pack of lemon-lime sport beans in my pocket of my tri-top along with an eGel for that "just in case" situation once again that might happen while out on the run.

Post race:

After I finish I will take within 30 minutes my usual 1st Endurance recovery drink which is 2 scoops of the product with 10oz of water. I will repeat this process 4 hours after I finish the event also.
At the post race party zone I munch on the healthier food and keep hydrating to help with the total recovery process…dinner will be the good foods as a reward :-)

b






2 comments:

Tea said...

You sound READY! And what's up with that WALK to the swim area?!!?

Sonia said...

You are definitely ready and have everything planned! Woah that's a lot of nutrition! Everything seems so much more complicated for tris! Seriously in both my marathons I only had gels and gatorade!