"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Saturday, September 6, 2008

return to the long run...

Saturday morning:

K and I headed down to Lake Michigan as early as ever for our CARA Chicago Marathon training runs. Since I have barely exercised at all over the last two weeks since my last 20 miler I decided to run with the 9 minute mile pace group to play it safe. The weather was good but the humidity was high from all the rain we had in our region over the last several days.

My new Kayanos helped out today with making the run more bearable especially with the left foot heal pain but both achilles tendons were tight even after stretching them out at water stops. I ran with the pace group through mile 11 when I kept running after they stopped for another water break (i carried my own fuel belt as always for this reason). I attempted to pick-up the pace on the final nine miles but my body would only allow me to run so fast today...I have become pretty de-conditioned over the last two weeks on non-exercising due to injury.

I finished 20 in 2:57:49 with a negative split on the finally 10 miles. My average pace was at 8:54 being conservative since both hamstrings and glutes were tight during the whole run duration. Also my average HR was at 134bpm with a max HR near the end of 154bpm. Just to give you a comparision...two weeks ago before this injury hit me I ran 20 miles six miles quicker with a lower average HR in hotter/more humid conditions.

Oh yeah...I past quick running Schuey just north of Lincoln Park as he was heading the other direction...he was smokin' up the path in a big way!

Well I'm happy the run is in the books...so I'm taking one day at a time right now as I do my final gear-up towards the Chicago Marathon...

b

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Glad to see you hit the roads!! And good for you, being reasonable and taking it easy, I'm sure your body will be happy with your decision!

Tea said...

yea, injuries are frustrating, but whatcha gonna do? You got out there and put in good mileage. I'm surprised you recognized the Blur Schuey as he ran past!