"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Monday, September 15, 2008

a bit of a very rainy weekend...

Well it was not a good exercise weekend for me at all unless you count hauling sandbags exercise. Since Friday our area got hit with 12 inches of rain till it finally stopped Sunday at around 6pm. The most rain happened all day Saturday at 8 inches! Our neighborhood was so flooding on Saturday as the streets had so much standing water on them in both directions you could not drive thru them so we stayed at home with the house all day. We were fortunate compared to some homes, we did have sewage back-up in our bathrooms which we were able to contain before any really damage had occured...not a good day.

On Sunday I got an early morning call from my brother over at my parents house near the Des Plaines River that the river & sewer water was slowy working up the street towards my P's house. K dropped me off over there as she stayed home to take care of our house if any further problems happened. When I got to my parents house it was like re-living the big flood of the Des Plaines River from 1986 over again. All of the neighborhood by my P's worked as a big team helping each house as sandbags were delivered and we built walls of sandbags to protect each home. This went on from early morning till about 6pm non-stop as it was a great team effort to save the homes before they flooded. As the City had ten huge portable pumps taking the water from the city drain pipes and flowing the water into the Des Plaines River the flood water started to finally start receding from my parents street arount 5pm...their house was fine as well as the other homes we worked on to save...

Exercise can always happen later as sometimes in life there are much more important things to take care of...

b

2 comments:

Sonia said...

Definitely more important things than training when something like this happens. Glad it wasn't too too bad.

I see a new ticker on your page! NYC marathon?! Wow lucky guy!

Tea said...

wow. that had to be exhausting work. When I was watching the storm pattern, I was thinking about you. I hope everything works out for your family.