"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

weekend of running...

Saturday morning:

K & I headed down to Lake Michigan to get in a long training run as she is preparing for the Lakefront 50k in early April 09. She ran a total of 14 miles that morning with a few of her friends also running the event. I choose a randow distnace of 11 miles since I'm in a base building phase of conditioning.

The first 3 miles I ran northward on the lakefront path with Kristen and Molly as they then turned around to pick-up their other training friends by Diversey Harbor. I continued to head northward as I picked up the pacing before turning around at the 4 mile point and thats when you felt the strong wind coming off frozen Lake Michigan out of the ESE direction. As I reached the startpoint by mile eight I notched out the pace for the last three miles to see how my body would react to the slight speedwork. I was able to run the last three miles in 23:59 feeling strong at the end...

So I completed the 11 mile run in 1:37:34 which is an average mile pace of 8:52 plus average HR of 135bpm plus max HR at the end of 157bpm. I felt good to get in a mid-distance training run during this cycle as I can still tell my body is slightly out of condition due to the December down time from exercising plus the additional body weight I'm carrying ;-)

Afterwards K & I headed out to one of our favorite breakfast joints in the city for a healthier meal :-)

Sunday mid-morning:

Went out for a recovery 4 mile run in the neighborhood region to see how my legs felt a day after 11 mile run. Felt ok as I forced myself to run at a conservative pace to help promote recovery. Finished the 4 in 36:55 with an average HR value of 124bpm

It felt good to get in the second run of 2009 in the training books for base conditioning :-)

b

2 comments:

Sonia said...

She's running an ultra! Wow, I'm so jealous! Definitely one of my long term running goals! If I can stay uninjured for more than 6 months...

Good job on the 11 miler. I hear you on carrying extra weight sigh.

Trishie said...

great running weekend, b!