"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Thursday, January 22, 2009

a brick in the wall...

Wednesday Evening:

In 2009 I set a new goal for myself to do more “Brick” workouts to help prepare myself for the up coming season of duathlons & triathlons. A brick workout for me consists of biking then getting in a run right afterwards to simulate a race scenario. Even with a TT/Tri-bike I find the bike to run change very difficult as my running legs are not trained properly for this racing…yet!

So I hopped on the tri-bike in the house on the Kinetic trainer for a pre-determined one hour ride with various drills & intervals thrown in for good measure to help get the HR going. I covered 15.1 miles in the 60 minute ride for an average pace of 15.2mph, max at 21mph plus average aerobic HR of 108bpm with a max at 142bpm on a push interval. Average cadence was at 90rpm with a max at 100rpm...

I watch the mountain stage 11 of the 2005 Tour de France DVD for inspiration as my favorite rider Alexander Vinokourov “Vino” crushed the competition this day…

...then I changed into my warm winter running clothes for an aerobic base run quickly after the hour bike ride. I ran for a time 50:13 which was a distance of 5.2 miles and average HR of 127bpm. As the streets and sidewalks are still messy from slushy snow & glazed ice I ran conversely as not to fall down…by the end of the run I was exhausted from the brick workout but it just what I needed...

b

2 comments:

Tea said...

hi Bri--I just got home from new york (the funeral) late Sat night. I feel like I'm so behind! I'll check in with you over the weekend. :) Thanks for emailaing me.

Trishie said...

great brick workout, b!