"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Sunday, April 12, 2009

winds on the lakefront...

Saturday morning:

On the training schedule I had a two hour 3/1 mid-distance run per the chart on the fridge at home. I attempted to head down to Lake Michigan as early as I could but suffered from some "sour" stomach issues from the moment I woke-up. I eventually got started running on the lakefront path at about ~7:15am as the temps were at about 39 degrees with sun but a pretty stout wind blowing right off the lake at about 15 to 20 mph from the NE...

I decided to head northward on the path for my first stint battling this wind at a reduced pace as my stomach was still bothering me. At the turnaround point at the end of the northern section of the lakefront path I picked up the pace slightly as the tailwinds helped with that situation. As I headed southward on the path I was feeling better as I approached my next turnaround point to try and get me in as close as possible to my two hour run time...

As I once again headed back northward into the winds I focused on my running and pace and felt solid headed out on this direction for a second time today at an even slightly quicker pace. As I approached my turnaround point at the north end of the lakefront path I attempted to stay as electrolyte hydrated as much as my stomach could handle...

As I then turned around to head southward on the path I needed to really push the pace at this point on my final running stint. With the wind at my back yet again I was finally able to kick it in for the finishing last miles to bring on the speed during the fatigued part of the run...I ended up getting in 15 miles in 2:05:20 with an average HR of 128bpm and a max HR right at the end as I pushed it to 147bpm.

Below are my split miles per direction & time/pace each took:
  1. North - 4.22 miles in 36:32 - 8:39 pace
  2. South - 3:51 miles in 29:42 - 8:27 pace
  3. North - 3:25 miles in 27:21 - 8:25 pace
  4. South - 4:02 miles in 31:40 - 7:52 pace

I was very happy to see I was able to drop the pace for those last 4 miles considering I wasn't feeling 100% plus it had been another solid week of half marathoning training in the journal once again :-)

b

No comments: