"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Friday, April 24, 2009

bike night...

Thursday evening:

Went over to the Village Cycle Sports group interval ride that happens every Thursday throughout the outdoor riding season. The weather was nice for once this spring with a very strong Southern wind which made things a bit of a challenge on doubles. The area they ride at is about a 2 and a half mile rectangle box as each straight away is just over 1.2 miles long. Lots of people showed up due to the nice weather which always leads to a large peleton group ride. This is fine if bike racing is your main sport but for tri/du/tt'ers whom drafting is illegal its a challenge
to get in a clean shot at pushing your own air.

Anywho I was really there for some base bike riding mileage and still getting used to the Ridley Dean and if the opportunity was there blast out a few solo intervals out front of the group plus I was testing my legs after the morning half mile running repeats I did earlier in the day. The Dean sliced thru the headwind like nothing especially when I was on the aero tt bars. The legs felt good which I really liked plus I blasted out a couple out front mile bursts to pump the HR levels up there which is another good fitness indicator.

On one of those one cat 1 rider sucked my rear wheel Belgian crosswind echelon style as I peeked back twice and right at the mile mark I sat up because I got in what I needed plus it was obvious he did want to work with me as he then only rode past me. On my big blast for the night I pulled a large group of strong riders again till that mile mark with no one willing to attempt to pass me and help out which was fine with me as my 6'4" body punches a big hole in the wind for people to draft off me...I sat up again at that mile mark and the group behind me then went by me...I laughed to myself on both of these occasions :-)

I rode for 58:46 for 18 miles which is an average pace of 18.6 mph (3:13 per mile pace) and max speed on the big interval at 32.5mph plus my average HR was at 125bpm with a max on the push of 158bpm....below is my Polar HR chart for the ride:

http://www.twodogzdesign.com/cycle09/042309.JPG

Now that was a fun short speed workout ride!

Friday is a planned rest day...yea!!!

b

1 comment:

Trishie said...

nice workout, speedersons !