"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Monday, February 9, 2009

12 weeks till Indy Mini...

I have started my training towards the 12 week Hal Higdon Advanced half marathon training that officially kicked off today for my favorite spring time race...the Indy Mini on May 2nd 2009. Also this is my spring goal race for Team Red Bull where I'm looking to run the half in under 1:37:22. I'm looking forward to the challenge since it really has been some time since I've had a running race goal as 2008 was more of a multisport year for myself.

I have worked on my aerobic running base over the last 5 weeks and feel ready for the next 12 weeks of training towards my goal race!
.
Saturday morning:

K and I headed down to Lake Michigan as always for our early Saturday morning long run with our winter training friends. Since themps were to to get near 50 degrees today the lakefront path was swarming with all sorts of people due to the nice weather. The wind was quite brutal out of the SW at a constant 22mph with gusts over 30mph. Kristen started earlier than the group as her schedule had her running 19 miles today as she prepares for the Lakefront 50k on April 4th.

The group started at 8am as K ran 14 miles with them as I headed out on my 10 miler. Since my training plan really starts tomorrow I decided to use todays run as a test 2/1 run. I ran at solid, comfortable pace heading southwards into the strong winds until the turn-around point for myself at the 5 mile point. After I turned around I picked up the pace as a tailwind helped some put by my HR I knew the pace was quicker.

I ended up finished the 10 mile run strongly in a time of 1:25:25 which is a mile pace of 8:32 and an average HR of 138bpm plus a max HR with the last half mile of 156bpm. I negative split the run as you can see below:

1st 5 miles: 43:56 - AHR 133bpm
2nd 5 miles: 41:23 - AHR 144bpm

I felt good out there today as this test helps to boost my confidence for the goal I have set for the Indy Mini in May :-)

Of course afterwards we all went out for a much needed meal at a local establishment named Nookies in Chicago!

b


1 comment:

Trishie said...

oh Indy Mini --- how fun! I heard somewhere that if you call it the Indy Half Marathon people get in a tizzy ;) it's the INDY MINI!