"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

needling...

Tuesday evening:

So Tuesday was the first of my two in row rest days to properly rest-up for the Indy Mini half this coming Saturday. So after work I headed over to my very first ever acupuncture appointment whom was recommended by my massage therapist. I went into this with an "open" mind looking for a short-term (and maybe long-term) solution for my lower back/leg problems I have been experiencing over the last several months. After the initial consultation the Acupuncture Doctor gives you an idea on what’s going wrong with your body and a course of action to help heal your body properly thru acupuncture. So the acupuncture part lasted about ~45 minutes after the Dr. "needles" you with needle adjustment every 15 minutes following. Only 10 acupuncture needles were used; some in the lower arms/hands, just below the knees on the outside of the calves, upper part of the feet and one right smack-dab in the middle of my forehead.

The Doc removed the needles after treatment and gives you a course of direction on about how many sessions this may take to help heal my body. They did say though that you will not feel an immediate effect from the acupuncture until after 24 hours of treatment time and it may take a few days longer to feel the real results. There was no pressure from the office for a follow-up appointment but they just recommend in about 10 to 14 days and to schedule at your convenience. At that time I did not schedule a follow-up because I would like to see if it helps over the next 3 to 5 days timeframe.

I do have to say the experience is in a way very similar to a really good massage but believe it or not much more relaxing. After I got home from this treatment I pretty much was really relaxed, ate some dinner and passed out at 8:15pm & slept like a baby all night…

The first real test will be Thursday morning when I go out for an easy 3 mile run to see how I feel then…I shall keep you posted.

b

1 comment:

Tea said...

I have not tried it myself, but I know people who have. I think it sounds just wonderful....