"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Friday, April 18, 2008

out with the roadies...

Thursday evening:

Straight after work I headed out to where the local Thursday night bike shop rides are at which are a one mile repeat sessions with a one mile recovery portion after that so its a big loop they do as a group in a local industrial parkway area in our region. I would say with the nicely weather we were experiencing there was about 25 riders and about 95% of them are pure roadies...

On the mile repeats they all ride in the slipstream of each other which is fine if your a road racer of bikes but when you race time trials/duathlons/triathlons drafting is completely illegal. So I made it a point to follow no closer than 15 meters from the riders in front of me to get the full benefit of the ride. Plus I used the biking session as a recovery mode of the running repeats earlier in the morning.


I covered a cruiser 11.8 miles in 39:30 minutes for an average pace of 17.9mph. My quickest mile repeat was at 23.9mph in 2:30 minutes...not bad against the wind, solo with the small riser/roller hill 3/4's into that mile...

The ride actually felt really good since I took it at a comfortable pace. Not a'ton of miles covered due to daylight going away but it was nice to ride in the outdoors once again...

b

No comments: