"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Friday, June 5, 2009

Thursday evening biking intervals...

Thursday evening:

Went over to the Village Cycle Sports group interval ride that happens every Thursday throughout the outdoor riding season. The weather was cool but clear and quite abit of wind out east which made things a bit of a challenge it both directions but its all good it the training side of things. The area they ride at is about a 2 and a half mile rectangle box as each straight away is just over 1.2 miles long. Lots of people showed up again due to the nice weather which always leads to a large peleton group ride. This is fine if bike racing crit’s or stage racin is your main sport but for tri/du/tt'ers whom drafting is illegal it’s a challenge to get in a clean shot at pushing your own air. I saw Jen out there and chit-chatted briefly before we both got away from the group and rode in our own clean air to push.

Not much of a warm-up for me as I work till 6pm first so after two miles of easier pacing I went out front of the group on the recovery mile and jumped right into things. From there on out I made sure I was plenty far away from the peloton group to focus on TT positioning and my one mile intervals plus I also held an up-tempo on the recovery mile to help keep my HR from dropping down too low. Since my legs were lacking overall speed tonight this routine worked out quite well for me.

I rode for 1:24:44 for 28.7 miles which is an average pace of 20.3mph and a max speed of 30.9mph plus my average HR was at 129bpm with a max on the initial big push of 156bpm. Overall my performance was decent out there but my legs & body were feeling the fatigue from Wednesday night one track repeats plus residual effects from the two 30k TT’s on last Sunday…

Also while I was on my cool down 2 mile lap at the turn-around a wild rabbit casually ran in front of me crossing the street, stop looked at me briefly and hopped on along his merry way…boy I wish I had that kind of speed tonight :-)

b

da chart: http://www.twodogzdesign.com/cycle09/060409.JPG

1 comment:

Jennifer Harrison said...

Great seeing you out there! It was a little crowded and I did not want to draft, so I pushed hard on my own with Marie !!! Worked out nicely. Nice seeing you briefly!