"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

a long day...

Thursday morning June 25th 2009:

Woke-up pretty early to get in this morning’s Computrainer ride which was of only a one hour duration. With the a/c blazin’ plus the two fans going it kept me cool during this intense, short duration ride. Warmed up spinning for about 12 miles then right into my first mile interval right at a mile marker point on the CT program. Focused for that first mile was there then right into a mile recovery lap then follow that same routine up until minute 52 of the ride time as I spun down afterwards to cool-down to get in a one hour total ride. Only other data I wrote down was my max HR during a mile interval was at 146bpm which is kinda suppressed but maybe an indicator of over-training?

My mile interval times were going by in the range of 2:45 to 2:55 per mile (I’ve been quicker) and the recovery miles were right always around 3:45. To be honest I was feeling fatigued this early morning even after a day of rest yesterday…these hot, humid, muggy days with 100+ heat indexes were wearing on me also at this point of the week…but its good August weather conditioning!

Thursday afternoon and evening June 25th 2009:

Last weekend a friend of mine had lost his life suddenly at the young age of 28 years old. My friends whom own Village Cycle Sports; Vince Boyer and Joe Eberhardt I have known since 1988 and Joe’s son Jason worked at the bike shops also. Jason Eberhardt was a wonderful person to everyone and will be dearly missed by all. On Thursday afternoon I attended the wake to pay my respects to Jason plus to provide my condolences to his father Joe and the Eberhardt family.

Afterwards a bunch of us usual cyclists went back to the VCS bike shop to meet up for the weekly Thursday evening mile repeat group ride. About seventy cyclists showed up this week to honor our friend and fellow cyclist Jason. We all rode as a large group to the ride area of the repeats and rode the first two laps as this group slow and silent as a tribute to Jason.

After the tribute the group went into its workout mode as I hung back to catch my own clear air to push during my mile repeats. The direction of the wind tonight was out of the NW so our mile repeats were to the south which has the slightly uphill draw to it kicking up at a half mile in then at ¾’s of a mile in it pitches slightly more to the mile point. The last half mile of this mile blast was my focus point of the interval as I worked to keep the speed, cadence and HR up while climbing this gradual climb. I got in 7 decent mile intervals with a couple bumping into or just at the red zone.

I rode for 1:09:02 and got in 21.7 miles in along with an average HR of 123bpm plus a max on a climb of 158bpm.

Two biking workouts in a day are tough especially when their similar in nature…

Below is my Polar HR chart from the evening ride time:
http://www.twodogzdesign.com/cycle09/062509.JPG

b

No comments: