"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Sunday, March 8, 2009

monsoon lakefront...

Saturday morning:

K and I headed down to Lake Michigan for our typical Saturday morning long run routine as we meet up with our friends. K was on a down week at 12 miles scheduled and I needed to get in a 90 minute 3/1 per the half training schedule which I'd been looking forward to all week. As Kristen headed southward on the lakefront path with her friends I wished everyone well as I decided to head into the wind northward on the path 4.5 miles till the turn-around point.

It was about 43 degrees with alot of humidity and storm clouds rolling in from the NE over Lake Michigan so I knew rain was coming soon. About a mile before my turn-around point the monsoon winds and rains hit as they came in abruptly off the lake. At my turning point I was completely drenched with rain that was falling heavily sideways (thunder & lighting kicked in also) so I picked up the pace slightly on the return trip southward. Even though the wind was for the most part from my back it started to fall even heavier. At the hour mark on my Polar watch I kicked in the 3/1 portion but I knew a 90 minute run wasn't going to happen today because now I was starting to get really cold as it took alot of focus to even finish this run...below are my lap split distances, times and average mile pace:

4.5 miles - 38:56 - 8:40
2.5 miles - 21:10 - 8:22
2.0 miles - 15:51 - 7.49


I covered 9 miles in 1:15:57 with an average HR of 132bpm plus a max HR in the finishing straight at 149bpm. I felt strong as I finsihed but I felt guilty on not getting in my required 90 minute MD run for the day but I needed to be realistic given the severe weather conditions.

When I got to the car I noticed K was already there as she informed my they only got in 5.5 miles of their required run for the day...they took a cab back from the Navy Pier region...anyways we all went out for a great breakfast at Schuba's afterwards which helps out tremendously :-)

b

No comments: