"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

thanks for the notes :-)

Thank you Trish & Steve for the notes about my running health...I haven't really talked about it much this fall but it's the same problems I was experiencing in spring/early summer...below is my blog entry from April 27th 2008 about what I'm currently going thru once again since early September...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From An April 27th blog entry:

"Back before I started running again in the summer of 2004 in late 2001 and the summer of 2002 I was diagnosed with 5 bulged/herniated discs in my spine...in the Lumbar region it's the L4 & L5 discs, in the Thoracic region it's the T6 and in the Cervical region it's the C4 & C5. The Doc's all stated they were not of the surgury requirement type because post-surgery scarring would out-weigh the benefits.

It took me a couple years to adjust but by spring 2004 I was feeling healthy once again...I mentioned that I have been running thru some health issues since mid-February this winter and it all stems from lower back "Sciatic Nerve" pain which has only worstened since then...running is quite painful at this point even as I mentally blocked it out during yesterdays 8 mile run. I used two icy/hot back pads on my lower back/glute region during this run in the form of an inverted V sign "/\" which masks the pain only so much...(now I use Kinesio tape)

I have tried everything over the last two months such as lite core strength training, my yoga routines, stretches, ice baths, heating pads, etc...these are short term solutions at best. My glutes, hammies, calves and heels of both legs besides my lower back at what are affected the most. These major running muscle groups never get a chance to recover hence when I run (or sit/walk) it always feels like any one of these major muscle groups are going to cramp/knot up at any point which affects my running stride length drastically...anyhow...I'm confident that I can overcome this setback with proper treatment once again.

I have a appointment with a running group friends Sports Chiropractor as the Doctors are marathon runners also on May 5th...The amazing part is I can tri-bike and swim with very minimal dis-comfort...

Sorry for the rant in my blog about the health issues I'm experiencing currently for the last several months but I thought I would bring that out into the open...

Thank you all for patience and understanding :-)

Brian"

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Oh wow you've come from far, be proud of that!