"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

B's Chicago Marathon Race Report...


Going into Chicago this year I was planning on attempting to BQ but with mother nature not cooperating yet again for the second year in a row and the lack of my proper training for this event due to nagging running injuries all year I was realistic about my chances of making this goal last Sunday as I only logged 454 training miles this year in 18 weeks compared to last year logging 862 training miles towards Chicago 2007 in 18 weeks. . Still as I walked into corral C I lined up with the 3:30 pacing team and was gonna give it a shot anyways.

As the starting gun went off I was already warm even with the bare minimum clothing to be wore that is acceptable in our society. I’m a tall guy that does not like warm/hot weather unless I’m at a beach somewhere on vacation with a proper drink in my hand. About a quarter mile into the marathon heading up Columbus you are running thru a lower drive tunnel zone for about another quarter mile which act’s like a pottery kiln oven which gets you nice and toasty out of the gate. After that the first nine miles of the race I was running close (but not too close to smother) to the 3:30 pacers but my HR was much too high due to the hot weather that day plus I was finding it a challenge to keep pace. Just after mile 9 I spotted & abruptly shouted out hello to Chris V. watching from the sidelines so he re-energized me. As I reached the 13.1 mile digital sign my watch said 1:46:19 for the 1st half but my body was cooking itself. At that point I initiated my “B” plan which was to turn this into a training run to make it to the finishing line safely so I gingerly took off the 3:30 pacing bib off my lower back of my singlet and disposed of it properly…now the monkey was off my back.

Anyone whom has run this race knows from about mile 13.5 to the finish line there pretty much exists no shade for protection from the hot sunlight with no breeze this day also. As I ran the last half of the marathon at a cruiser pace hundreds which felt like thousands of runners streamed by me. As I chugged along at my pace I got payback time for those individuals as a lot of runners were starting to walk by mile 18 as they went out to quickly and the folks were really starting to fade just after Chinatown near mile 22 which provided me with a lot of energy. As the I crossed over the Dan Ryan Expressway bridge I found a welcomed sight – the Hash Hounds Harriers were there offering their usual Dixie cup size beverages of Old Style which tasted great at that point. As I reached Michigan Avenue near mile 23.4 I got re-energized again because I knew the end was near and a lot of runners were walking at this point. Also the spectator support on Michigan Ave was fantastic this year the whole way to the finish line. At mile 25.2 I kicked the pace up slightly and felt solid going up Mt. Roosevelt (spotted Chris V. again) to turn left at the top for the .2 mile finishing chute straight away as I kicked it into a track workout repeat finish. This was the first year for me that no one passed me heading down Columbus Drive as I passed suffering runners.

I crossed the finish line in 3:47:32 for an 8:40 mile pace with an average HR of 145bpm & a max HR of 157bpm heading to the finish. That ice cold Goose Island 312 never tasted better also in the finish area, thanks marathon management for bringing back a real beer back to the race. I waited back in the CARA tent where more 312 was available for consumption as I patiently waited for my wife to finish (4:28:xx as a Sherpa) and the rest of our training group friends to finish. Everyone arrived safely compared to last year…

As I reflect now a few days after the race I can honestly say I made the right decision out there on race day because I ran well within my current abilities and ran the race & finished with a smile on my face the whole way. I’m really looking forward to running the New York City Marathon with my wife Kristen in a few weeks time to share that great experience together also :-)

B

5 comments:

Tea said...

You have to know when to call it a day. I know the BQ is important to you. Unfortunately, you can't control conditions, you can only control your attitude. That's what matters most because THAT's what keeps bringing you back.

Congrats on a great finish time.

Sonia said...

Great race report Brian! The BQ will come, I have no worry about you. Get that foot back into shape (well after NYC!) and try next year!

I think its awesome that you're going to run a marathon with your wife =) She'S so lucky!! I think I need to find myself a runner too LOL

Sonia said...

I forgot: CONGRATS!!!! =)

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!! Way to go! And there's always another BQ race in the future...

Anonymous said...

Good one on "B's Chicago Marathon Race Report..." and it helps a lot.

I have used the AV Planners Inc for all "digital sign" and their serivice is the best.
You can know more about them in "http://www.avplannersinc.com/index.php/digital-signage".

Thanks,
mark - digital sign