"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

back in the saddle...

Tuesday evening:

After two days of rest from exercising and seeing the sports chiropractor twice during that time for MATS treatment I decided to test how my body felt on the tri-bike last night via the Kinetic training at home. The nice thing about riding the bike is that I use a different set of muscles for the most part than running except when I sit in the aero-position forward on the saddle which activates the running muscle groups. The ride didn’t feel so bad because at least when your on a bike you can stand up in the pedals to give some relief to the lower back.

Anyways during the 40 minute tri-bike ride I focused on the smaller front chainring (42t) for usage with a slightly slower cadence to help simulate the hills of Galena in 10 days time. Basically the ride had a 10 minute warm-up then 20 minutes of progressive up-shift repeats then a ten minute cool-down. My average speed was slower at 16.5mph which happens when your average cadence is only 87rpm. My average HR was 108bpm with a max HR near the very end of my repeat session at 143bpm while I was in the larger 56 tooth front chainring.

I was able to handle the tri-bike ride with minimal pain as long as every 5 minutes of so I stood up on the pedals and spun out for 30 seconds. Believe it or not I was pretty sore from the two MATS chiro treatments than I was from the Indy Mini half…

b

No comments: