"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Sunday, March 2, 2008

sick of ice...

Saturday morning:

K and I headed down to the lakefront really early this morning to start running our 20 milers at 6:15am. She was running her first 20 miler of her marathon training cycle towards the Athens Ohio Marathon. I was scheduled to run my 4th - 20 miler of my FIRST training cycle at an approximate pace of ~8:30 per mile. K ran with her training friends group as I headed southbound on the lakefront path to the 10 mile turn-around point.

The temps were nice at 27 degrees when we started that early as the winds were out of the WNW at 11mph so that made for a slight tailwind for me on the opening ten miles but I hit the wind the whole way back on the return trip north to close out the long run. The opening ten miles was actually very pieceful and it was a very majestic sunrise this morning over Lake Michigan. The return ten mile trip Northward got almost summer style crowded north of Navy Pier as everyone seemed to want to enjoy this beautiful morning also outdoors.

Below are my ten mile split times with average pace and average HR values:

1:26:08 - 8:36 pace - average HR 130bpm
1:23:49 - 8:22 pace - average HR 139bpm

My total run time for the 20 was almost spot-on at 2:49:58 with an average mile pace of 8:29.5 and average HR of 135bpm & max HR at a half mile to go 149bpm. Even though I did negative split the distance pushing that wind at a quicker mile pace really taxed my already worn-out body. As soon as my garmin 305 & path mile markers showed me I went 20 milers I spotted the watchs and went right into walking mode. I was completed exhaust plus my left heel was killing me signaling me to retire those running shoes fro long LSD runs...

So hopefully these tough training runs will toughen me when it comes to race day!

b

No comments: